Skip to main content

One of those books I think pretty much everyone should read

This book I've been reading has been rocking my socks off. I bought it several years ago--it is one of many books which I've packed and unpacked each time I've moved and thought, "I wish I had time to read that right now." I've been reading a chapter a day for the last week or so. And every day I get that "Man, I wish everyone could read this book!" feeling. It's a Christian book, a creative telling of the Gospel, that I would feel totally comfortable recommending to my non-Christian peers.
Searching for God Knows What (there are super cheap used copies on Amazon, if I'm convincing you it might be worth reading).
For those of us Christians who talk a lot about ideas and trends and like to analyze often, there has been lots of talk about postmodernity, narrative, our need for relationship, what the Gospel is, etc. Some people enjoy reading thick books by theologians to understand such things. Others want things that are easier to read in order to make sense out of life. And the theologians get scared because those people read things like Everyday a Friday (Joel Osteen) or Love Wins by Rob Bell... not that it's bad to read those books... it's just scary when a compelling author uses stories with emotional appeal to win people over to "truth" without a biblical foundation.
Anyway, Donald Miller has a great balance. He is authentic--he unashamedly explores doubts that many others are too embarrassed to express. He questions popular approaches to Christianity without being a jerk. He uses stories from everyday life AND Scripture. His perspective is fresh, but not extreme... which is SO rare.
Somehow he makes me aware of my faulty thinking in a way that actually brings conviction--I don't feel defensive, and I don't just shrug it off because so many other people have the same faulty thinking. He doesn't just point fingers or criticize people, but tells stories of how hearing things he disagreed with made him dig deeper and rethink things, and then tells us what he concluded. It's like the readers are exploring questions and possibilities right along with him.
Here's one example of a big truth statement he concludes:
"The thing that defines human personalities is that they are constantly comparing themselves to one another." He uses examples of sports, TV shows (Survivor? The Bachelor?), school bullies, materialism, etc. And the whole time, I'm thinking "Man, he's RIGHT!"
Before this, he talks about how natural it is for people to expect others to tell them who they are. "I figure I was attaching myself to a certain identity because it made me feel smart or, more honestly, it made other people tell me I was smart. This was how I earned my sense of importance. Now, as I was saying earlier, by doing things to get other people to value me, a couple of ideas became obvious, the first being that I was a human wired so other people told me who I was... And so the second idea became obvious: I was very concerned with getting other people to say I was good or valuable or important because the thing that was supposed to make me feel this way was gone." (He had previously told a story of telling God He didn't exist).
This all fits with my previous post about realizing this base human need to feel valued. Donald Miller is helping me see how this plays into my relationship with God. What does it REALLY mean to have a relationship with God? It's great to focus on that for once instead of the systematic details of conversion, justification, redemption, etc.--this almost scientific attempt to explain something which isn't really scientific.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Magic

We recently watched The Polar Express as a family. I remember loving the slideshow of it as a kid--the elementary school librarian would show it each year before Christmas. Our oldest daughter is four and we've had many conversations this year about Santa. As over-analyzers, Matt and I can't just go with the flow and try to convince her that Santa is real. Many talk about the "magic" of Santa, and how they don't want to ruin that for their kids. I'm not here to argue about what you should tell your kids about Santa, but I do want to share my thoughts on this "magic" business. Our daughter, like most four-year-olds, is really into pretending. She also loves watching shows and reading books. Often, she gets that hopeful sparkle in her wide eyes and asks things like, "Are superheroes real?!" or "Are unicorns real?" On a basic developmental level, she's forming an important life skill of being able to differentiate between wh

More alive

Sometimes I don't feel much. Life feels like a continuously expanding to-do list, and I get in "task mode" and wonder why I want to pull away from everything. In the moment I struggle to put my finger on it, but I know I need a break. And then something awakens my senses and it's the epitome of refreshment. Last night, it was listening to Spiegel im Spiegel by Arvo Part , the song I walked down the aisle to, which Matt and I often listened to in our little studio apartment in Chicago. It also reminded me of the times I picnicked at the Pritzker Pavilion while listening to the Chicago Symphony Orchestra on amazing summer days in the city. There's something about old memories that help me be less detached from myself. As I talked to Matt about this, he said something along the lines of, "that's why art is so human." Because it reminds us that we're not just here to do tasks and stay alive. Art seems like an extra, because it's not

Humanity

I haven't seen this saying in my news feed lately. Instead, we're seeing some of the worst parts of humanity revealed. Scrolling through social media or watching/reading the news can be overwhelming and discouraging, depending where your hope lies and how you view people. Who do we look to when these huge problems are in our face? The government? Rich entrepreneurs? Activists? The legal system? Protesters? Celebrities? Authors and pastors? While God can work through any avenue, we aren't to place our hope ultimately there. These are not just political issues, not just race issues, not just legal issues, not just rights issues, not just health issues. These are heart issues. There are so many things I could say about this, but I only have fifteen minutes of quiet before a child will emerge from her quiet time. So this is the main point I want to make: What would the world look like if you were humble? If we were all humble? The way people view those who look differently, thi