Skip to main content

Relevance and authenticity

I think relevance isn't about being "cool." It's probably not even so much about culture. I think it's about pointing out God's work. I was thinking about how I love hand-made stuff, how I love beautiful things like waterfalls and paintings and music and trees and fire and clouds and people--people who live for important things and hold their ground respectfully, people who are humble and want to teach others, people who are quick to encourage and full of joy--and how confessing these things as being from God makes Him relevant.

A lot of people seem to experience His relevance in the opposite way--He allows/causes disasters and trauma, He fuels the radical conservative politicians and TV preachers, or He is absent and harsh (based on loneliness and guilt).

One of the things that has stood out to me from Donald Miller (I'm reading Blue Like Jazz now) is how people do things because of what affects their hearts:
I don't believe I will ever walk away from God for intellectual reasons... If I walk away from Him, and please pray that I never do, I will walk away for social reasons, identity reasons, deep emotional reasons, the same reasons that any of us do anything." (p. 103).
It's a scary thing to consider, because most Christians see such things as too fluid, too subjective. You can't give too much weight to what you feel internally, because the heart is deceitful (Jer. 17:9). But it's all so reactionary. Right now, tons of people are liking Jesus and rejecting religion, because they felt the coldness of a Jesus reduced by religion to academics and tradition.

I've heard enough generational explanations to know my love of authenticity is considered "postmodern." But I think/feels it's also Christian... there is a place for pure obedience and self-control and self-discipline, acting rightly when we don't feel like it. But Jesus cut through fronts all the time, addressing people's hearts. He didn't care about a fancy, lengthy prayer if it wasn't genuine, if it was for a show.

Authenticity and humility go together somehow... I think arrogance is usually a repression/denial of personal flaws and weaknesses. Humility is being honest about those flaws and weaknesses, which makes it easier to be gracious toward others. There's something refreshing about hearing an apology or a request for help. It's more human, it helps us connect. It's a relief to know others have similar struggles. It makes the rest of us feel more free to admit our mistakes and needs... and isn't such awareness and acknowledgement how change begins? We might not need to confess to a priest, but confessing to one another does something to our hearts. I wonder if more non-Christians would be more interested in God if we talked more about our hearts instead of trying so hard to impress them with good music and how trendy we are, or instead of trying to prove that we're right and they're immoral. It's part of why I hate the Democrats vs. Republicans thing... it turns too many people into enemies. But that's a topic for another time...

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Magic

We recently watched The Polar Express as a family. I remember loving the slideshow of it as a kid--the elementary school librarian would show it each year before Christmas. Our oldest daughter is four and we've had many conversations this year about Santa. As over-analyzers, Matt and I can't just go with the flow and try to convince her that Santa is real. Many talk about the "magic" of Santa, and how they don't want to ruin that for their kids. I'm not here to argue about what you should tell your kids about Santa, but I do want to share my thoughts on this "magic" business. Our daughter, like most four-year-olds, is really into pretending. She also loves watching shows and reading books. Often, she gets that hopeful sparkle in her wide eyes and asks things like, "Are superheroes real?!" or "Are unicorns real?" On a basic developmental level, she's forming an important life skill of being able to differentiate between wh

More alive

Sometimes I don't feel much. Life feels like a continuously expanding to-do list, and I get in "task mode" and wonder why I want to pull away from everything. In the moment I struggle to put my finger on it, but I know I need a break. And then something awakens my senses and it's the epitome of refreshment. Last night, it was listening to Spiegel im Spiegel by Arvo Part , the song I walked down the aisle to, which Matt and I often listened to in our little studio apartment in Chicago. It also reminded me of the times I picnicked at the Pritzker Pavilion while listening to the Chicago Symphony Orchestra on amazing summer days in the city. There's something about old memories that help me be less detached from myself. As I talked to Matt about this, he said something along the lines of, "that's why art is so human." Because it reminds us that we're not just here to do tasks and stay alive. Art seems like an extra, because it's not

Humanity

I haven't seen this saying in my news feed lately. Instead, we're seeing some of the worst parts of humanity revealed. Scrolling through social media or watching/reading the news can be overwhelming and discouraging, depending where your hope lies and how you view people. Who do we look to when these huge problems are in our face? The government? Rich entrepreneurs? Activists? The legal system? Protesters? Celebrities? Authors and pastors? While God can work through any avenue, we aren't to place our hope ultimately there. These are not just political issues, not just race issues, not just legal issues, not just rights issues, not just health issues. These are heart issues. There are so many things I could say about this, but I only have fifteen minutes of quiet before a child will emerge from her quiet time. So this is the main point I want to make: What would the world look like if you were humble? If we were all humble? The way people view those who look differently, thi